It was the 4th of July and we were eager to make it back to the US as it was Independence Day. I had been hoping to head off early to ensure that it would happen, but that wasn’t too happen. C was needing to visit a doctor to get a prescription for some antibiotics so spent an hour or so on the phone to her insurance company back home. While C was working that out, Mary Margaret was making us pay for our indecision in the best possible way.

We had been asked what we wanted for breakfast and had been very indecisive. That prompted Mary Margaret to cook us up a 3 course breakfast, oatmeal followed by eggs, bacon + toast and then some pancakes with true Canadian maple syrup. It was a definite feast and, for anyone who believes in carb loading, the perfect pre-event nutrition.

On the ride over, it occurred to me that it might be smart to go to the doctor today rather than tomorrow. We had a long ride to Flint planned and having to wait to go to the hospital where we would possibly spend a few hours would make for a pretty terrible day. Instead we found a wifi spot, called C’s insurance company on Google Talk and found a doctor in Sarnia.

I estimated that the hospital trip would add in a 60-90 minutes delay, I was wrong. When we went in it ER was busy and it took that long for her to be seen by the triage and register. That was followed by another couple of hours of waiting as C’s case was very low priority. We read and chatted with the other people waiting to be seen and while I knew nothing could be done was pretty frustrated with the speed. It was 4th of July and we were spending it waiting for a prescription in a hospital. The two upsides were that C would start to feel better and that we didn’t have far to ride once we got out.

After getting the prescription we went to a nearby pharmacy that informed C that we’d need to wait for about 30 minutes. Thankfully, they were wrong and had her medicine ready after about 10-15. That gave me just enough time to get my picture taken with the Biebster after we had a couple of snacks.

The bridge back to the US was not open to cyclists, but we had been told that the Bluewater Bridge Authority staff had a truck and would drive you over. We were fortunate that the lady who drove us wasn’t too busy and, not long after we’d got our stuff in the back of the pick-up truck, she was ready to go.

After a short ride we got met by affable US immigration officials on the other side who escorted us to passport control. A short talk with the guy inside and we were good to go. Another friendly interaction with US immigration to go against the horror stories that are reported by others travelling.

Bonnie lived only a couple of miles from the bridge and just after 9pm we finally made it. It was our latest arrival time since the first day and so didn’t get to go to the fireworks display Bonnie had been intending to take us to. We were mainly interested in cleaning up and eating something having only had a couple of snacks since the huge breakfast.

Bonnie, and her son Simon, were wonderful to talk to and gave us lots of information about Michigan. Bonnie had worked in Azerbaijan for the Peace Corps and had some really interesting stories to tell about her experience in such a different environment. Simon had good ideas for places for us to see in Lansing. He also expressed concerns about our plan to go to Flint and wanted to make sure that we were aware of it’s reputation.

We wish we’d had more free time to talk, but our beds called us with our fairly long ride ahead of us the next day. I laid in bed reading an ACA magazine, but my eyes were heavy. I got no more than a paragraph in to an article about riding in Patagonia before sleep won.