Thorn, my bike company, don’t really like kickstands. They suggest people against getting them for their bikes and so I didn’t. It’s meant that over the last 5 months I’ve been laying my bike on the floor or leaning it against walls/trees/people/fences when I’m not on it. That’s been OK, but sometimes I’ve really wished I had one. Seth, the guy we cycled with up in Washington had something called a Click-Stand which seemed to be a great solution.
It had finally come, the last day for C & I to be riding together. The original idea had been for us to ride together as far as Phoenix, but events transpired and things happened in such a way that we ended up deciding to part in St George. That would work for me as I think I have mentioned in earlier blog posts, since San Francisco my goal has been to get to St George on the 19th. That had been one of the reasons that I found it easier to ‘cheat’.
Our final day had two routes
As with Donna on the ride into Vegas, Mike was eager to help us out. I-15 heading out of Vegas isn’t a very fun road and going from Vegas to Mesquite via Valley of Fire would have been a record distance for the trip, something that C wasn’t eager to do on her penultimate day. That’s how we found ourselves throwing our things in to the back of his son’s truck and driving up to Valley of Fire with him and Rosa, his Mexican girlfriend.
The ride up to Valley of Fire was enjoyable,
After an enjoyable unexpected rest day in Pahrump, we were up early ready to ride out to Vegas. There was a hill to get over and while the weather wasn?t too hot, I like to get my cycling done before the afternoon sun is out. It was with surprise then that our things ended up in Donna?s truck. She had been saddened about places that we had missed on the way down and was doing her best to make sure we took the detour to Red
I woke up expecting to have 60 miles ahead of us and then N said he was willing to drive us out of the valley. It was about 30 miles to the place of Death Valley Junction where he would head south and we would head east so we took him up on the offer. It would save us a climb and also having to ride in the heat. I had thought that if were going to ride in the valley we would be getting up at 5am and riding out, just like when were in Minnesota, and if we hadn?t got the lift we wouldn?t