Older
Newer

I find myself writing this, my first post on a rest day. This will be our 5th night in San Francisco, and I’m still not really sure about what happens next. We took the lift from Bill down to Novato for one main reason, to get ahead of schedule to make it easier to continue with the journey. This long stop in San Francisco has messed with that a little, but it has been necessary.

I want to get to St George, Utah on October 19th. Jamie, my friend in Utah, will have a 4 day weekend and so can hang out with us. As far as my planning goes, that’s priority number one. To do that, we would have had to head after maybe only a rest day in San Francisco and that wasn’t really an option because of a few things which I’ll now explain.

San Francisco is a huge and very cool place. There was no chance that we were going to have it as one of our main destinations and then not spend any time here. It’s got lots of things to do and Laura & Sofia, our hosts, are awesome so we love being here.

5 months ago in Apopka I forwarded a package to Jamie, my friend in Utah. It was my cold-weather clothing and consisted of my Gore jacket, gloves and booties. It was in the 90s and I had no need for them, until round about now. Heading down the Pacific, it would have been nice to have my jacket and gloves on a couple of occasions and with the Sierra Nevadas in front of us, including probably going over Tioga Pass, which is 9943ft, I could definitely do with them. That’s why a couple of weeks ago I gave Jamie Kent & Charlotte’s address in Novato. She posted them and… we don’t know where they are. She can’t find the tracking number and so I’m in limbo. I don’t want to have to buy more, they were expensive and I don’t need two sets if the package does turn up again, but going over Tioga without them is going to be a little chilly.

C’s bike needs some maintenance and we think that the reason she was so sluggish riding over from Novato is that her brakes may have been rubbing. She probably also could do with a new chain, as it’s not been changed in 6,000 miles of touring. She didn’t take it in during our first few days here which would have been good as it could have all been sorted.

With that in mind, we decided that we would look into alternate ways to get to Yosemite. I posted a request for a rideshare on Craigslist and got 3 replies. One would have left on Wednesday, but I was still optimistic about getting my parcel and we wanted more time in SF. The second offer was to go this morning and we nearly took it, but C isn’t confident in her brakes so needs to go to a bike shop to get them looked at. I wish she’d taken her bike in and got it fixed earlier! A third offer was to go on Sunday, which would be great, but unfortunately he hasn’t replied to his email in 2 days.

If we can’t find a rideshare, there is a way to get there using public transport, but it involves a bus then a train and then another bus. It’s a bit of a hassle and there’s always the chance of ending up with the second bus not having space and oh look we’re stuck in a random place. My only other idea involves hitching a lift to LA and then riding over. That’d be an easier trip, but would be a bit bizarre. We’d miss out on both Yosemite and Death Valley and not really have too much time to explore LA.

Confusion.

To end, here are some pics from my time in SF.

Cable car

Older
Newer