From Pulacayo it was a further 20-30 minute climb, which would have been impossible the night before, and then a long downhill to Uyuni. Unfortunately, there was some serious amount of gusting during the downhill into Uyuni and I was getting blown from one shoulder right across the right to the other. Thankfully, the lack of traffic from the previous days was still evident and there were no problems – other than my frustration.
HJ had been to Uyuni twice before, and both times stayed in the
With nowhere to stay in Uyuni the plan involved getting to the town before it, staying there, and dropping down in the morning. This meant we had a relaxingly late start in the morning – rather than getting up at 6am it was closer to 8:30 by the time we left, even finding time for a cup of tea on my stove. Ticatica, like the other communities, didn’t have many options by the way of food so it was more Cremositas – small packets of 6 biscuits that cost $0.15 – and a litre
A lovely, and quite easy, day, or at least the start that saw us going gently downhill for the majority of the first 50km. The geology reminded me a lot of the south-west US, of course with lots more llamas. There was almost no traffic, which I guess is why the road from Potosí to Uyuni wasn’t paved until three years ago. When it got to the climb to finish the day, we were definitely very glad to find pavement as we crawled our way up. Instead of pushing, I just took to riding for 5-6km,
The first of our four days to Uyuni was relatively short, with a couple of decent climbs thrown in, mainly because of the scarcity of communities along the way. We saw our first llamas, looking quite camel-like, a definite Andean icon. Being up above 4000m really wasn’t causing any issues with the only symptom from the altitude that I was feeling seemed to be blocked-up sinuses during the night – very annoying as it meant that I’d breath through my mouth which given the low humidity
The plan after Potosí wasn’t certain. Well, we’d be going to Uyuni, but then there were a lot of options. Whatever we did, we’d be up at elevation for a good while longer and for that reason I decided to have a couple of days off in Potosí. It would be a great help in acclimatising, especially with one of the route options going up to 5000m.
HJ went on the mine tour to Cerro Rico, but I decided to save the money and skip that. I was more interested in making a stove. I wanted